Ten O'Clock News; Tufts Apartheid Demonstrations
Tufts University officials and students stand on the university quadrangle near Ballou Hall. Ballou Hall is being occupied by student protesters. Meg Vaillancourt interviews Robert Elias (professor, Tufts University) about the student occupation of Ballou Hall. Elias talks about negotiations between student demonstrators and the university administration, which were initiated by the faculty. Elias says that many students are concerned about Tufts' divestment policy; he adds that the demonstration has been an educational experience. Elias says that he does not know how students will react to the administrations' proposals to end the occupation. Students and members of the media are gathered under the portico of Ballou Hall. Protest signs hang at the entrance to the building. A protest sign hanging at the entrance to the hall reads "Biko Hall." Tufts University police officers stand near the students under the portico of the building. Elias and two other people enter the building. Students in the foyer of the building begin to chant and sing. Police officers stand directly in front of the entrance to the building. The protesters are visible as they chant and sing.
- Ten O'Clock News
Tufts Apartheid Demonstrations
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Anti-apartheid movements
- Tufts University
- Universities and colleges
- Student protesters
- Medford (Mass.)
- News Report
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Tufts Apartheid Demonstrations,” 04/26/1985, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 20, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_82420D4EA9044E639123B4F0ACC3363E.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Tufts Apartheid Demonstrations.” 04/26/1985. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 20, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_82420D4EA9044E639123B4F0ACC3363E>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Tufts Apartheid Demonstrations. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_82420D4EA9044E639123B4F0ACC3363E