La Plaza; Changing Tides: Estado del Tiempo
Spanish WITH SUB-TITLES
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Changing Tides: Estado del Tiempo
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
In August 1994 more than 34,000 Cubans left their homeland by sea in rudimentary and mostly unseaworthy crafts. This poignant documentary explores this phenomena through interviews where Cubans talk of their motivation for leaving the island. "Changing Tides", produced by Margaret Gilpin and directed by Luis Felipe Bernaza, is one of the few independent film from a Cuban film director in Cuba since 1959.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Changing Tides: Estado del Tiempo,” 11/16/1995, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed August 16, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_80A5BE02CAE741DAA6D323180101A6D3.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Changing Tides: Estado del Tiempo.” 11/16/1995. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. August 16, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_80A5BE02CAE741DAA6D323180101A6D3>.
- APA: La Plaza; Changing Tides: Estado del Tiempo. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_80A5BE02CAE741DAA6D323180101A6D3