Ten O'Clock News; King Flynn debate, Part 2
Mayoral candidates Ray Flynn and Mel King participate in a forum on education sponsored by the Citywide Education Coalition (CWEC) at English High School. Flynn says that students graduating from Boston public schools must be prepared to compete in the workplace. He adds that there must be a working relationship between parents, teachers, administrators, and the community. King speaks about the workings of the school administration and advocates the inclusion of parents in the process. King and Flynn respond to questions about how they would have handled school desegregation if they had been mayor at the time. Both candidates answer questions about the role of the mayor upon the court's withdrawal from its supervisory role over the school system and about the school budget. Audience members include John O'Bryant of the Boston School Committee. Tape 2 of 2.
- Ten O'Clock News
King Flynn debate, Part 2
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- King, Mel
- African American politicians
- School management and organization
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- Busing for school integration
- Segregation in education
- Political campaigns
- Civil rights
- News Report
- King, Mel (Speaker)
- Flynn, Raymond L. (Speaker)
- George, Christy (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; King Flynn debate, Part 2,” 10/13/1983, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed June 2, 2020, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7FFB4E547C03489EA25B5B6C7873331E.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; King Flynn debate, Part 2.” 10/13/1983. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. June 2, 2020. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7FFB4E547C03489EA25B5B6C7873331E>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; King Flynn debate, Part 2. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7FFB4E547C03489EA25B5B6C7873331E