Martha Speaks; Dog Who Came to Dinner, The; Martha Calling
MSPE 109 (HD) Media Operations Center PBS 3423
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Martha Speaks
- Dog Who Came to Dinner, The; Martha Calling
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered September 1, 2008
"Martha Speaks" is an animated series that is designed to enrich the vocabulary of 4- to 7-year-olds. The series is based on the classic books by Susan Meddaugh that have charmed and captivated millions of children. Each episode uses Martha's unique linguistic abilities and the hilarious consequences to engage kids and help build their vocabulary skills.
In each Martha Speaks episode, the characters use special words throughout the show. Explicit words, marked with (E), are defined by one of the characters on the show. Implicit words, marked with (I), are used on the show but not defined.
Produced with Studio B Productions, Inc. Series release date: 9/1/2008
- Program Description
Dog Who Came To Dinner Helen agrees to take care of Mrs. Clusky's dog for a few days, and Martha can't wait to welcome their houseguest. To Martha's chagrin, Francois turns out to be a demanding and manipulative guest who knows just how to charm the humans. When Martha gets blamed for the teacup poodle's bad behavior, something has to be done, but what?
Vocabulary: (E) jealous, visitor, privileges, envy, demanding
(I) houseguest, welcome, rude, polite, manners
Martha Calling When Martha wins a trip to the Come-On-Inn from a radio call-in show, there's only one problem: No dogs allowed. Helen and Martha put their heads together to come up with a solution. Enter Granny Martha. But when a "mad dog" eats Granny Martha, pandemonium ensues. Where's Martha and why is everybody running for the exits? Based on the book.
Vocabulary: (E) allow, forbid, permit, restrict, problem
(I) guest, rules, invite, vacation
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Barss, Karen (Series Producer)
- Sullivan, Brigid (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Martha Speaks; Dog Who Came to Dinner, The; Martha Calling,” 09/13/2008, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 22, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7FEE6BD37F68482CAB0A5D511D35FBCC.
- MLA: “Martha Speaks; Dog Who Came to Dinner, The; Martha Calling.” 09/13/2008. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 22, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7FEE6BD37F68482CAB0A5D511D35FBCC>.
- APA: Martha Speaks; Dog Who Came to Dinner, The; Martha Calling. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7FEE6BD37F68482CAB0A5D511D35FBCC