Ten O'Clock News; Redistricting
Christy George reports that shifts in the state's population have forced the Massachusetts House of Representatives to draw up a redistricting plan for the state's legislative districts. State Rep. Jim Brett has been charged with drafting a redistricting plan. Interview with Brett on his plan. Boston and Cambridge will each lose one seat while the South Shore and Cape Cod will each gain a seat. George notes that the Republican Party and minorities are protective of their legislative districts and that both groups seem to be happy with the plan. Interviews with State Rep. Peter Forman and Byron Rushing. Brett and Peter Vellucci will lose their districts and be forced to run against other incumbent legislators. Interviews with State Rep. Vellucci and Paul White. The legislature has voted in favor of the plan. Speaker of the House George Keverian presides over the proceedings in the House chambers.
- Ten O'Clock News
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Vellucci, Peter A., 1942-
- White, W. Paul, 1945-
- Rushing, Byron
- Election law
- Keverian, George, 1931-2009
- Massachusetts. General Court. House of Representatives
- Brett, James T., 1949-
- Forman, Peter, 1958-
- Massachusetts -- Politics and government
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Forman, Peter, 1958- (Interviewee)
- Keverian, George, 1931-2009 (Speaker)
- White, W. Paul, 1945- (Interviewee)
- Vellucci, Peter A., 1942- (Interviewee)
- George, Christy (Reporter)
- Brett, James T., 1949- (Interviewee)
- Rushing, Byron (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Redistricting,” 07/13/1987, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed May 23, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7E1368427EFC4A25BA1A791317BB1C99.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Redistricting.” 07/13/1987. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. May 23, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7E1368427EFC4A25BA1A791317BB1C99>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Redistricting. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7E1368427EFC4A25BA1A791317BB1C99