Evening at Pops; Shirley Horn And Arturo Sandoval
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Evening at Pops
- Shirley Horn And Arturo Sandoval
- Program Number
- Series Description
Taped shows of the Boston Pops. First telecast on WGBH in June 1957; Arthur Fiedler conducting at MIT Kresge Auditorium. Premiered nationally July 5, 1970, performances at Symphony Hall. Series release date: 1970
- Program Description
Hot and cool jazz is in store as vocalist/pianist Shirley Horn and trumpeter Arturo Sandoval both make their Pops debut this season. Veteran performer Horn, who has catapulted from cult figure to chart topper in recent years, swings lightly with her trio. Jazz trumpeter Arturo Sandoval, who made headlines two years ago with his dramatic defection from Cuba, brings a dose of fiery Latin spice to his Pops appearance.
This episode of EVENING AT POPS features special guests Shirley Horn and Arturo Sandoval. Jazz singer and pianist Shirley Horn performs songs from her new album, including "Come Dance With Me" and "Here's to Life." Trumpet virtuoso Arturo Sandoval, most recently praised for his musical contributions for the film MAMBO KINGS, performs a variety of pieces, including one by Duke Ellington. John Williams and the Boston Pops Orchestra accompany these performances. Williams and the Pops also perform "Ride of the Valkyries" by Richard Wagner, musical selections from the film STATE FAIR by Rodgers and Hammerstein, "Holiday for Trombones" by David Rose, and selections from the film JURASSIC PARK by John Williams.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Performance for a Live Audience
- Dangel, Susan (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Evening at Pops; Shirley Horn And Arturo Sandoval,” 06/30/1993, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 23, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7DCE1619DDFE4E5C95D7935BA40F4CFB.
- MLA: “Evening at Pops; Shirley Horn And Arturo Sandoval.” 06/30/1993. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 23, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7DCE1619DDFE4E5C95D7935BA40F4CFB>.
- APA: Evening at Pops; Shirley Horn And Arturo Sandoval. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7DCE1619DDFE4E5C95D7935BA40F4CFB