Mystery!; Inspector Morse, Series X: Deadly Slumber
Inspector Morse : Series X or 10 Deadly Slumber Episode 1
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Inspector Morse, Series X: Deadly Slumber
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered in 1980 -- offshoot of MASTERPIECE THEATRE. Showcase for the best of British drama in the mystery genre. Current producer, Rebecca Eaton. See individual episode titles for more information. Host: 1980: Gene Shalit; 1981-1989: Vincent Price; 1989-present: Diana Rigg Series release date: 1980
- Program Description
Broadcast February 13 and 20, 1997
Avril Steppings suffered permanent brain damage following a minor surgical procedure that went very, very wrong. The tragedy devastated her devoted father, reclusive millionaire-bookmaker Michael Steppings (Brian Cox). When Avril's surgeon, Dr. Mathew Brewster (Richard Owens), is found dead, Morse (John Thaw) believes revenge for a botched operation seems a powerful motive - assuming Dr. Brewster's death is ruled a murder. Also starring are Kevin Whately (Detective Sergeant Lewis), James Grout Chief Superintendent Strange), Janet Suzman (Claire Brewster), Jason Durr (John Brewster), Carol Starks (Jane Folley) and Penny Downie (Wendy Hazlitt).
Part One--Is Dr. Mathew Brewster's death a suicide - or did he have a little help from his enemies? When the details of an ugly malpractice suit come to light Morse believes revenge for a botched operation seems a compelling motive for murder. Death threats aimed at the doctor further implicate plaintiff and millionaire - bookmaker Michael Steppings, whose daughter suffered permanent brain damage at Brewster's hand.
Part Two--Morse and Lewis discover that prime suspect Michael Steppings has an airtight alibi, leaving them with quite a pool of new suspects, including the doctor's frail wife and medical partner, Claire, his mistress and son, John, whose relationship with his father was, as Morse soon discovers, less than friendly.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Eaton, Rebecca (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Mystery!; Inspector Morse, Series X: Deadly Slumber,” 02/13/1997, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 21, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7DAD7ECDED934D31967D54F181298114.
- MLA: “Mystery!; Inspector Morse, Series X: Deadly Slumber.” 02/13/1997. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 21, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7DAD7ECDED934D31967D54F181298114>.
- APA: Mystery!; Inspector Morse, Series X: Deadly Slumber. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7DAD7ECDED934D31967D54F181298114