Ten O'Clock News; Laquidara and Shell boycott
Hope Kelly reports that Charles Laquidara (WBCN disc jockey) is leading a radio campaign against the Shell Oil Company. Laquidara is encouraging listeners to cut up their Shell credit cards to protest Shell's involvement with the repressive South African government. The campaign is part of a larger international boycott aimed at all Shell products. Interview with Laquidara about the campaign. Footage of Laquidara and employees in the WBCN studios and footage of Roger Clemens (Boston Red Sox) in the WBCN studios. Kelly quotes Norm Allsteader (Shell Oil Company) as denying any Shell involvement with the South African government. Kelly reports that Jerry Straccia (Shell Oil dealer in East Boston) is feeling the effects of the boycott. Interview with Straccia about the boycott. Straccia criticizes the boycott. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following items: Teachers and parents are frustrated over new starting times for the Boston Public Schools for the coming school year and Meg Vaillancourt interviews Elma Lewis about the Roxbury neighborhood
- Ten O'Clock News
Laquidara and Shell boycott
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Laquidara, Charles, 1938-
- Clemens, Roger
- Anti-apartheid movements
- Radio stations
- East Boston (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Kelly, Hope (Reporter)
- Laquidara, Charles, 1938- (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Laquidara and Shell boycott,” 08/23/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 16, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7D104C347CD141669B24A76D0D332E5E.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Laquidara and Shell boycott.” 08/23/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 16, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7D104C347CD141669B24A76D0D332E5E>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Laquidara and Shell boycott. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7D104C347CD141669B24A76D0D332E5E