Ten O'Clock News; Wilson's contract renewal
Marcus Jones reports that teachers and parents are frustrated over new starting times for the Boston Public Schools for the coming school year. The Boston School Committee voted in favor of the new starting times in May as part of an effort to cut costs. Parents have not yet received notification of the new starting times. Many parents blame the Dr. Laval Wilson, the Superintendent of Boston Public Schools. Footage from a Boston School Committee meeting. Parents and teachers address their complaints about the new starting times to the Committee members. Interview with Dede Calhoun, a Dorchester parent, about her dissatisfaction with the new starting times. Calhoun talks about the difficulty of finding after school care on short notice because school hours have been altered. Support for Wilson among School Committee members may be slipping, and discussions on the renewal of Wilson's contract will begin soon. Interview with Peggy Davis-Mullen of the Boston School Committee, who says that Wilson is not able to deliver the school-based management policies that are necessary to improve the schools. Wilson will begin his third year on the job under intense scrutiny by School Committee members. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following items: Meg Vaillancourt interviews Elma Lewis about the Roxbury neighborhood and Charles Laquidara organizes a boycott against Shell Oil Company
- Ten O'Clock News
Wilson's contract renewal
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- School management and organization
- Boston (Mass.). School Committee
- School superintendents
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Wilson's contract renewal,” 08/23/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed May 29, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7CA8ACA6099546C291A566430889B4CB.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Wilson's contract renewal.” 08/23/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. May 29, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7CA8ACA6099546C291A566430889B4CB>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Wilson's contract renewal. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7CA8ACA6099546C291A566430889B4CB