La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Camilo Jose Vergara
La Plaza MASTER - CLOSED CAPTIONED Program #2806 Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Camilo Jose Vergara Running Time: 26:20 Closed Captioned Patricia Alvarado 617-300-2289 email@example.com WGBH, 125 Western Avenue, Boston, MA 02134
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Camilo Jose Vergara
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
Acclaimed photographer Camilo José Vergara has devoted much of his professional career to the documentation of the American city. He has exhibited his stark, elegant photographs throughout the world and his work is included in the collections of the New York Public Library, the New Museum of Contemporary Art in New York City, and the Getty Center in Los Angeles. A writer as well as a photographer, Vergara has produced numerous books including The New American Ghetto, American Ruins, Silent Cities: The Evolution of the American Cemetery, and Subway Memories. His work on the documentation of the urban poor neighborhoods led Kenneth T. Jackson to label Vergara “the Jacob Reis of our time.”
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Camilo Jose Vergara,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 19, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7C06E4E5B13A456B8B8DA5CAE025FF4A.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Camilo Jose Vergara.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 19, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7C06E4E5B13A456B8B8DA5CAE025FF4A>.
- APA: La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Camilo Jose Vergara. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7C06E4E5B13A456B8B8DA5CAE025FF4A