Say Brother; Point of View, A
Part of Say Brother.
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Say Brother
- Point of View, A
- Program Number
- Series Description
Say Brother is WGBH's longest running public affairs television program by, for and about African Americans, and is now known as Basic Black. Since its inception in 1968, Say Brother has featured the voices of both locally and nationally known African American artists, athletes, performers, politicians, professionals, and writers including: Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, Thomas Atkins, Amiri Baraka, Doris Bunte, Julian Bond, Stokely Carmichael, Louis Farrakhan, Nikki Giovanni, Odetta Gordon, Henry Hampton, Benjamin Hooks, Jesse Jackson, Hubie Jones, Mel King, Eartha Kitt, Elma Lewis, Haki Madhubuti, Wallace D. Muhammad, Charles Ogletree, Babatunde Olatunji, Byron Rushing, Owusu Sadaukai, and Sonia Sanchez. Series release date: 7/15/1968
- Program Description
Program focuses on three blues musicians: Buddy Guy (guitar), Junior Wells (harmonica and vocals) and Howlin Wolf (vocals), all credited with producing music that captures the "everyday" experience of Black Americans. Program jumps back and forth between concert footage, host Topper Carew's interviews with Guy and Wells, commentary by Carew on the musicians songs, and "psychedelic-style" video pieces that serve as visual backdrops for the songs of featured musicians.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Wells, Junior, 1934-1998
- Wolf, Howlin', 1910-1976
- Guy, Buddy
- African American musicians
- Blues musicians
- Race and Ethnicity
- White, Conrad (Director)
- Barrow-Murray, Barbara (Associate Producer)
- Topper Carew (Producer)
- Mack, Bobby (Synthesis Musician)
- Nicholas , Huntley, Jr. (Film Sound)
- Davis, Tony (Assistant To The Producer)
- Milton, Ron (Synthesis Musician)
- Letman, Will (Synthesis Musician)
- Willy, Rockin (Synthesis Musician)
- Neloms, Bob (Synthesis Musician)
- Carew, Topper (Synthesis)
- Allen, Mark (Synthesis)
- Eldridge, Bobby (Synthesis Musician)
- Chicago: “Say Brother; Point of View, A,” 03/20/1974, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 20, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7BD990BB800A438489619689C5A94B8A.
- MLA: “Say Brother; Point of View, A.” 03/20/1974. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 20, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7BD990BB800A438489619689C5A94B8A>.
- APA: Say Brother; Point of View, A. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7BD990BB800A438489619689C5A94B8A