Ten O'Clock News; Melvin King, Part 2
Christopher Lydon interviews Mel King (Boston mayoral candidate) in his home. Lydon asks King about his experiences and strengths as a social worker. King says that he believes in empowering people and encouraging them to solve their own problems. King answers questions about similarities between his background and the background of Ray Flynn (Boston mayoral candidate). King says that Flynn has adopted a "me, too" approach to politics. King emphasizes his own commitment to diversity and says that he has taken the lead on many issues. Lydon asks King whether Flynn has learned from him. Lydon also asks King about his silent nature. King says that there is thought and reflection behind his silences. Some sound interference at the end of the interview. Tape 2 of 2 Editor's note: Content given off the record was edited out of this footage.
- Ten O'Clock News
Melvin King, Part 2
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- King, Mel
- African American politicians
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- Political campaigns
- South End (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- King, Mel (Interviewee)
- Lydon, Christopher (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Melvin King, Part 2,” 11/03/1983, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed August 23, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7B218111C4CD49B3A5F1D10CDD25764A.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Melvin King, Part 2.” 11/03/1983. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. August 23, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7B218111C4CD49B3A5F1D10CDD25764A>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Melvin King, Part 2. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7B218111C4CD49B3A5F1D10CDD25764A