Ten O'Clock News; Divestment, Tutu, Harvard overseers
Jan von Mehren reports that a small band of Harvard Alumni have announced the candidacy of Archbishop Desmond Tutu (black South African leader) for the Harvard University Board of Overseers. Von Mehren notes that the Board of Overseers is elected by university alumni to make policy recommendations. She adds that Tutu is on a slate of candidates nominated by the Harvard/Radcliffe Alumni Against Apartheid organization. Von Mehren's report includes footage of Alumni Against Apartheid members Robert Wolff, Robert Zevin, and Linda Davidoff addressing a small crowd on the Harvard Campus. Wolff says that the Board of Overseers will have a hard time explaining to Tutu why they have not divested completely from South Africa. Von Mehren notes that Harvard has divested some its holdings in South Africa. She adds that university officials have no comment on Tutu's candidacy or on their divestment policy. Von Mehren's report also features footage of apartheid protesters at Harvard and footage of Tutu in South Africa. This tape includes additional footage of the Alumni Against Apartheid gathering on the Harvard campus.This tape also includes footage of Archbishop Desmond Tutu speaking. Students walking through Harvard Yard.
- Ten O'Clock News
Divestment, Tutu, Harvard overseers
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Universities and colleges
- Harvard University
- Anti-apartheid movements
- Tutu, Desmond
- Cambridge (Mass.)
- News Report
- von Mehren, Jan (Reporter)
- Tutu, Desmond (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Divestment, Tutu, Harvard overseers,” 03/09/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 28, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7A4D400CA61A4C4EB90665B51ECCF2CF.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Divestment, Tutu, Harvard overseers.” 03/09/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 28, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7A4D400CA61A4C4EB90665B51ECCF2CF>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Divestment, Tutu, Harvard overseers. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7A4D400CA61A4C4EB90665B51ECCF2CF