La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Lila Downs
La Plaza MASTER - CLOSED CAPTIONED Program #2805 Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Lila Downs Running Time: 26:37 Closed Captioned Patricia Alvarado 617-300-2289 email@example.com WGBH, 125 Western Avenue, Boston, MA 02134
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Lila Downs
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
Mexican singing sensation Lila Downs burst on to the music scene with her stunning performance of a song from the film Frida at the 75th annual Academy Awards in 2003.
The daughter of a Mixtec-Amerindian mother and a US filmmaker/academic father, Downs, who is a native of the Mexican state of Oaxaca, has made music all of her life. She started singing Mariachi music at the age of eight, and began a formal music education at the age of 14. She recently released her fourth album, Una Sangre to many accolades and Billboard magazine describes her as "one of the most spellbinding voices to grace the world music scene." She won "Best Folk Album" at the 2005 Latin Grammy Awards.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Lila Downs,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed March 26, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_79C7747A44554A5BBD8A23E62418667E.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Lila Downs.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. March 26, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_79C7747A44554A5BBD8A23E62418667E>.
- APA: La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Lila Downs. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_79C7747A44554A5BBD8A23E62418667E