Ten O'Clock News; Dorchester Youth Collaborative
David Boeri reports on a legislative hearing about urban issues in the Roxbury neighborhood, where city and state officials addressed the panel. Mayor Ray Flynn, District Attorney Newman Flanagan, and Judge Julian Houston of the Roxbury District Court address the panel. Boeri reports that the congressmen were interested in the Dorchester Youth Collaborative (DYC) program. Emmit Folgert of the DYC, along with Dorchester teens Lawrence McKinley and Andrew Young address the panel. They talk about gang activity in the neighborhood. Boeri reports that many teen counselors believe that drug education and prevention should focus on the after-school hours. DYC offers entertainment, music, sports, and a safe place for teenagers. Interview with Al McClain of DYC, and Dorchester teens William Woods, Abigail Santana, and Mickey McBride about the DYC. The teens dance and hang out at DYC. Boeri reports that the congressmen are being urged to fund community centers like the DYC. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: Carmen Fields interviews Shirley Caesar
- Ten O'Clock News
Dorchester Youth Collaborative
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Legislators -- United States
- Urban policy
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- Urban youth
- Drug abuse -- Prevention
- Dorchester (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Boeri, David (Reporter)
- Flynn, Raymond L. (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Dorchester Youth Collaborative,” 10/06/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 27, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_77DE708A28D5485AA7810E05F5D4A548.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Dorchester Youth Collaborative.” 10/06/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 27, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_77DE708A28D5485AA7810E05F5D4A548>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Dorchester Youth Collaborative. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_77DE708A28D5485AA7810E05F5D4A548