New Television; New Television, Episode 607; Houses that Are Left, The
Part of New Television Workshop.
"The Houses that Are Left" refers to a statement by Gustave Flaubert suggesting that what is most telling about a historical period is not what it leaves behind, but what it tears down or loses. The story concerns two sets of characters, the living and the dead, and examines the influence they have over one another. Approximate date: 1990
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- New Television
- New Television, Episode 607
- Program Number
Houses that Are Left, The
- Series Description
"New Television" began as a local pilot production of WNET (New York) in 1986. In 1987, WGBH signed on as co-producer, and the shows were aired in Boston and New York. In 1988 and 1989, KCET (Los Angeles) and WETA (D.C.) became producers in association. In 1991, PBS picked up "New Television," and it was broadcast nationally. The following year, the Wexner Center for the Arts in Columbus, Ohio, replaced WNET, WETA, and KCET as co-producer with WGBH. In 1993, WGBH ceased to be a co-producer for the series, and the "home base" moved to Connecticut Public Television (CPTV) in Hartford, CT.
"New Television" commissioned, produced, and acquired programming. In its early years, "New Television" broadcast works commissioned by The Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund. Increasingly, experimental films as well as video works were broadcast as a part of this series. Many of the later episodes of "New Television" contain works that play with and deconstruct the documentary genre. Series release date: 1986
- Program Description
Features Shelly Silver’s “The Houses that Are Left.”
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Silver, Shelly
- Film and Television
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “New Television; New Television, Episode 607; Houses that Are Left, The,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 16, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_778078E127094BB2909CFBDA0C0E32C4.
- MLA: “New Television; New Television, Episode 607; Houses that Are Left, The.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 16, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_778078E127094BB2909CFBDA0C0E32C4>.
- APA: New Television; New Television, Episode 607; Houses that Are Left, The. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_778078E127094BB2909CFBDA0C0E32C4