Ten O'Clock News; NAACP and BHA discrimination
Meg Vaillancourt reports on negotiations in court between the Boston Housing Authority (BHA) and the NAACP over compensation for minority families who were victims of the BHA's discriminatory housing policies. Vaillancourt notes that the BHA and the NAACP disagree on the number of families to be compensated and the amount of compensation due to them. Vaillancourt interviews Dianne Wilkerson (NAACP) and Albert Willis (Attorney, City of Boston) about the negotiation. Vaillancourt adds that negotiations will continue until the next court date. Vaillancourt reports that the first African American families moved into a South Boston housing project last month as part of the court-ordered plan to integrate public housing. Vaillancourt's report is accompanied by footage of African American movers at the Mary Ellen McCormack Housing Development and by footage of white residents of South Boston housing projects.
- Ten O'Clock News
NAACP and BHA discrimination
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African American lawyers
- Wilkerson, Dianne
- Public housing
- Housing policy
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- Boston Housing Authority
- Race relations
- South Boston (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Wilkerson, Dianne (Interviewee)
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; NAACP and BHA discrimination,” 08/09/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 20, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_77751930E6844FA185D1EA58D0CACC87.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; NAACP and BHA discrimination.” 08/09/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 20, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_77751930E6844FA185D1EA58D0CACC87>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; NAACP and BHA discrimination. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_77751930E6844FA185D1EA58D0CACC87