Artist's Showcase; Selected Works, William Wegman, 1973-1974
Part of New Television Workshop.
Wegman Selected Pieces Original MAPC # A0-01141. This tape does not contain the NTW website clip of Wegman teaching his dog Man Ray how to spell.
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Artist's Showcase
- Selected Works, William Wegman, 1973-1974
- Series Description
Anthology series of experimental, avant garde video productions. Program titles: "DANCE FOR CAMERA - SHOW I: DISTRICT I and PALE COOL, PALE WARM;" "DANCE FOR CAMERA - SHOW II: TZADDICK;" "DANCE FOR CAMERA - SHOW III: GEORGE'S HOUSE;" "SELECTED WORKS - 1974 - 1975;" "THE GIRL WITH THE FLAXEN HAIR;" "SET OF COINCIDENCE;" "ALL ACROSS BOSTON;" " UNTITLED PERFORMANCE BY ROBERT GOLDMAN;" "QUIDDATAS;" "TELEPORTRAITS;" "FOUR SIDED TAPES;" "AMY LOWELL;" "PRIMORDIAL SOUP;" "HOWARD;" "THIRD TAPE;" "PAST FANTASIES;" "SEMI BUFFET;" "EAST ENDED TAPE;" "A COLOR PIECE FOR TV;" "CONTEXTS AND ONE AND MANY;" "THREE TRANSITIONS;" "CITY SCAPE;" "OUT OF TIME;" "NO TITLE." Series release date: 1975
- Program Description
Selections from the works of William Wegman are interspersed with an interview between the artist and Russell Connor, which takes place in a variety of settings. Wegman discusses the interview process, his influences and audiences, his working process, and his dog Man Ray.
Segmented works show Wegman teaching Man Ray to spell “beach”; a monologue from the perspective of a mouthless boy; a monologue of a shock-therapy patient whose face is frozen into a permanent smile; the adjustment of a dog’s position based on the flipping of a coin; boot, deodorant, and massage-chair “commercials”; a knock-kneed airplane traveler; and a conversation based around the copyright page of a dictionary.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Documentaries and factual works
- Compilation films
- Video art
- Film and Television
- Wegman, William ()
- Connor, Russell ()
- Chicago: “Artist's Showcase; Selected Works, William Wegman, 1973-1974,” 04/26/1976, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed April 30, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_77295B771B1B4DCB8860CB6738964883.
- MLA: “Artist's Showcase; Selected Works, William Wegman, 1973-1974.” 04/26/1976. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. April 30, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_77295B771B1B4DCB8860CB6738964883>.
- APA: Artist's Showcase; Selected Works, William Wegman, 1973-1974. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_77295B771B1B4DCB8860CB6738964883