Compass Weekly, The; September In April; September in April
Evening Compass special. In-studio operators take phone calls from parents with questions about school assignments and busing for the next school year. Ed Baumeister gives the answers to several true-or-false questions regarding the state plan to achieve racial balance in Boston schools. Judy Stoia gives statistics for the maximum travel distance of students and the racial makeup of schools in each elementary and intermediate school district. Paul deGive reports on a plan proposed by the Boston School Department to hire aids to help care for children and locate parents in case of sickness or family emergency. Baumeister and Pam Bullard (Boston Herald American) interview John Coakley (Boston School Department) and Dr. Charles Glenn (Massachusetts State Department of Education) about implementation of the racial balance plan. Both men respond to questions about the busing of kindergarten students. Judy Stoia explains the term geocode. Stoia and Bob Murray (Boston School Department) give on-air answers to some of the most common questions received by the operators. In studio Bullard, Baumeister and Dr. John Finger of Rhode Island College discuss plan developed to integrate schools. WGBH reporter and Bob Murray have question-and-answer session with questions from callers. Joan Buckley, representative from Boston Teachers Union, discusses plan for teachers with Bullard and Baumeister.
- Compass Weekly, The
- September In April
September in April
- Series Description
Part of new plan of news programs and specials that premiered January 1974.
“The Compass Weekly” aired each Tuesday for a minimum of one hour. It was devoted to a single news topic covered in depth, with commentary and review of coverage elsewhere.
See Prime Time January 1974 for story in “Letter From The President.” Series release date: 1/22/1974
- Program Description
In-studio operators take questions from parents about school assignments and busing for next year. Maps and statistics of racial makeup of school districts. Explanation of geocodes. John Coakley, Dr. Charles Glenn, Bob Murray.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Busing for school integration
- Race relations
- School boards
- School children
- Boston (Mass.). School Committee
- Civil rights
- School management and organization
- Massachusetts. Board of Education
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Baumeister, Ed (Reporter)
- Stoia, Judy (Reporter)
- deGive, Paul (Reporter)
- Bullard, Pam (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Compass Weekly, The; September In April; September in April,” 04/22/1974, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 7, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_75131EA07041433591014BD18162A425.
- MLA: “Compass Weekly, The; September In April; September in April.” 04/22/1974. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 7, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_75131EA07041433591014BD18162A425>.
- APA: Compass Weekly, The; September In April; September in April. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_75131EA07041433591014BD18162A425