Ten O'Clock News; Andrew Young interview
Interview with Andrew Young, Mayor of Atlanta at the Parker House. Young talks about his efforts to facilitate international trade between Atlanta businesses and third-world nations. He says that urban mayors can help local businesses by leading trade delegations and encouraging local businesses to get involved in emerging markets. Young criticizes the federal government's reliance on the military in conducting foreign policy. He says that the US must act with intelligence and rely on diplomacy to solve world problems. He talks about US involvement in Vietnam, Lebanon, and El Salvador. Young and Christy George discuss African Americans in politics. Young does not believe that a candidate should not represent one single constituency. Young says that more African Americans need to be elected as senators, mayors and governors before an African American is elected as president. George reasks questions for cutaways. Young attends a cocktail party at the Parker House. Other guests include Bruce Bolling, Boston City Councilor, and Hubie Jones, Dean of the School of Social Work at Boston University.
- Ten O'Clock News
Andrew Young interview
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African American politicians
- International relations
- Bolling, Bruce C., 1945-2012
- African Americans -- Politics and government
- Urban policy
- Young, Andrew, 1932-
- International trade
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Young, Andrew, 1932- (Interviewee)
- George, Christy (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Andrew Young interview,” 09/22/1983, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 24, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_749A4E63B3084AA8A6AEC465CBB2E5D0.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Andrew Young interview.” 09/22/1983. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 24, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_749A4E63B3084AA8A6AEC465CBB2E5D0>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Andrew Young interview. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_749A4E63B3084AA8A6AEC465CBB2E5D0