Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac; Keepsake Box
27:58 Uncaptioned Master
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac
- Keepsake Box
- Program Number
- Series Description
ROUGH CUT - WOODWORKING WITH TOMMY MAC invites viewers into the world of respected furniture maker Tommy MacDonald, as he travels to historic landmarks to gain design inspiration and then returns to his workshop to demonstrate the steps and techniques needed to create future family heirlooms. In each episode, MacDonald shares his skills and best practices, providing detailed project instructions for anyone interested in learning the basics of the craft. For the more experienced enthusiast, Tommy also showcases his more complex projects with advanced tips and techniques. Each half-hour includes three segments: "Basic Woodworking Techniques," "Weekend Projects" and "The Field Trip."
Rough Cut – Woodworking with Tommy Mac is produced by WGBH Boston and distributed by American Public Television. Series release date: 10/2/2010
- Program Description
0108 – Keepsake Box/John Adams House Episode 08 – Keepsake Box
The Keepsake Box is a perfect project for anyone who wants to learn simple, small box construction. The box would make a great jewelry box or even a humidor. A special feature of this box is the herringbone inlay – a dramatic embellishment featured on top. In this episode, Tommy demonstrates how to build the box and then explains how to create the magnificent herringbone veneer pattern for the top. It is a lot easier than it looks! Then, Tommy takes a trip to the John Adams House in Quincy, Massachusetts, to see one of John Adams’s desks, covered in spectacular veneer and banding. Later, Tommy is joined in his shop by Neil Lamens of Furnitology.com.
Resources: Marking Gauge Mortiser Screws
Field Trip: John Adams House, Quincy, MA
Questions and Answers: Veneer Tape Alternative
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Donnelly, Laurie (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac; Keepsake Box,” 10/05/2010, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 4, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7493D911AAFB4E58A31F0C784A7F46E6.
- MLA: “Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac; Keepsake Box.” 10/05/2010. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 4, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7493D911AAFB4E58A31F0C784A7F46E6>.
- APA: Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac; Keepsake Box. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7493D911AAFB4E58A31F0C784A7F46E6