Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac; Arts and Crafts-Style Chair
APT HD Master Arts & Crafts Armchair with Chuck Bender and a road trip to the Maloof residence in CA
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac
- Arts and Crafts-Style Chair
- Program Number
- Series Description
ROUGH CUT - WOODWORKING WITH TOMMY MAC invites viewers into the world of respected furniture maker Tommy MacDonald, as he travels to historic landmarks to gain design inspiration and then returns to his workshop to demonstrate the steps and techniques needed to create future family heirlooms. In each episode, MacDonald shares his skills and best practices, providing detailed project instructions for anyone interested in learning the basics of the craft. For the more experienced enthusiast, Tommy also showcases his more complex projects with advanced tips and techniques. Each half-hour includes three segments: "Basic Woodworking Techniques," "Weekend Projects" and "The Field Trip."
Rough Cut – Woodworking with Tommy Mac is produced by WGBH Boston and distributed by American Public Television. Series release date: 10/2/2010
- Program Description
Arts and Crafts-Style Chair – Episode 02
This time, on Rough Cut, Tommy takes on an Arts and Crafts-Style Chair. This episode will demonstrate how to make the legs, arms and back, mostly through standard mortise and tenon joinery. The Road Trip brings Tommy out to Alta Loma, California, where he visits the home of one of the biggest names in chair making: the late, great Samuel Maloof. There, Tommy visits with Samuel’s wife Beverly as well as a curator. Back in the studio, Tommy is joined by master furniture maker Chuck Bender of The Acanthus Workshop in Pennsylvania.
Resources: Jointer Planer Table Saw Band Saw Marking Gauge Router Table Mortiser Bench Chisels Rasps and Files
Field Trip: Sam Maloof Historic Residence and Woodworking Studio, Alta Loma, California
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Donnelly, Laurie (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac; Arts and Crafts-Style Chair,” 09/14/2011, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 21, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_73B33AFEBEFE461EBE5BD7BB96DD1C1C.
- MLA: “Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac; Arts and Crafts-Style Chair.” 09/14/2011. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 21, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_73B33AFEBEFE461EBE5BD7BB96DD1C1C>.
- APA: Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac; Arts and Crafts-Style Chair. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_73B33AFEBEFE461EBE5BD7BB96DD1C1C