La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Willie Perdomo
Online Version Master
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Willie Perdomo
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
Willie Perdomo had it all — a great education at a prestigious New York City private school, a mentor who nurtured his talent, and early literary accolades for his poetry. But at a point early in his career, the up-and-coming poet got caught up in the intersection of street culture, drugs, and success and came dangerously close to throwing it all away.
Then the acclaimed Puerto Rican author from East Harlem pulled his life together and went on to write poems that captured the imagination of New York's African American and Latino hip-hop scene.
Perdomo talks with author and critic Ilan Stavans about the trajectory of his writing career and his battle with drug addiction.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Willie Perdomo,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 11, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_739582E952234AF89D0F5AD1EBC900E2.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Willie Perdomo.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 11, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_739582E952234AF89D0F5AD1EBC900E2>.
- APA: La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Willie Perdomo. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_739582E952234AF89D0F5AD1EBC900E2