La Plaza; Dos Idiomas ( TwO LANGUAGES)
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Dos Idiomas ( TwO LANGUAGES)
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
Bilingualism...what is it, who needs it, how does it affect our daily lives? La Plaza focused this program around this concept with a roll-in courtesy of WNET / Realidades in New York, of a film about various situations which require the use and understanding of Spanish as well as English. Then they came into La Plaza, to chat with guests from the Boston Community. Dr. Yoehl Camayd, Psychologist with the Mental Health Outreach Program in Jamaica Plain; Mario Abascal, Community Organizer with Massachusetts Mental Health Program; Awilda Ramos, Assistant Director of the Office of Community Affairs and Special Assistant on Hispanic Affairs to Governor King; Fernando Ponce, from the Cardinal Cushing Family Lefe Education Department; and Armando Martinez, Personnel Specialist, and one of the organizers of the Community involvement with the writing of the Bilingual Education Law of Massachusetts. Spanish with English subtitles.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Dos Idiomas ( TwO LANGUAGES),” 02/22/1979, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed April 26, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7356816D6ED84977B53E15DD52854698.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Dos Idiomas ( TwO LANGUAGES).” 02/22/1979. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. April 26, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7356816D6ED84977B53E15DD52854698>.
- APA: La Plaza; Dos Idiomas ( TwO LANGUAGES). Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7356816D6ED84977B53E15DD52854698