Ten O'Clock News; Bias in covering Roxbury crime
Callie Crossley reports on the documentary film Street Cop, set in Roxbury. Interview with Roxbury community activists Georgette Watson and Ben Haith about the documentary's portrayal of crime and drug traffic in the community. Watson complains about the negative images of Roxbury in the media and about the negative attitude of many police officers toward African Americans. Crossley's report includes footage from Street Cop and footage of Crossley, Watson, and Haith walking in Dudley Square. Interview with Larry Brown of the Boston Minority Police Association, who says that the documentary gave a realistic and effective portrayal of law enforcement. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: David Boeri reports that William Celester has been accused of sexual assault by a female employee of the Police Department
- Ten O'Clock News
Bias in covering Roxbury crime
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Discrimination in law enforcement
- Mass media
- Law enforcement
- African American neighborhoods
- Drug traffic
- Boston (Mass.). Police Dept.
- Drug control
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Crossley, Callie (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Bias in covering Roxbury crime,” 03/31/1987, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 21, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7225332FE23841ACADCDC48FEC812F02.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Bias in covering Roxbury crime.” 03/31/1987. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 21, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7225332FE23841ACADCDC48FEC812F02>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Bias in covering Roxbury crime. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_7225332FE23841ACADCDC48FEC812F02