Ten O'Clock News; Conductor Kay George Roberts
Marcus Jones interviews conductor Kay George Roberts about her career as one of the few African American female orchestral conductors. Roberts answers the question "what is it like to be a black woman conductor?" Roberts talks about race and gender in classical music. Jones reviews Roberts's career. Roberts is the first woman to receive a PhD in orchestra conducting from Yale University. Jones' report includes footage of Roberts conducting an orchestra. The tape also includes additional footage of the interview with Roberts and additional footage of Roberts conducting the orchestra.
- Ten O'Clock News
Conductor Kay George Roberts
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- University of Massachusetts at Lowell
- African American women
- Universities and colleges
- Lowell (Mass.)
- News Report
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Conductor Kay George Roberts,” 04/21/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 19, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_70D6627130794374882F09723B0FFC55.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Conductor Kay George Roberts.” 04/21/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 19, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_70D6627130794374882F09723B0FFC55>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Conductor Kay George Roberts. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_70D6627130794374882F09723B0FFC55