Ten O'Clock News; Redressing Roxbury disinvestment
Hope Kelly reports that the Boston Bank of Commerce is sponsoring the Home Ownership Loan Pool, to encourage homeownership loans for residents in minority neighborhoods. The neighborhoods of Roxbury, Dorchester, and Mattapan have received little investment money in the past. Kelly's report includes footage from a press conference with Ronald Homer (President, Boston Bank of Commerce) and community leaders. Bruce Bolling (Boston City Council) speaks out in support of the new program. Homer talks about the Home Ownership Loan Pool. Homer says that concessionary-rate lending does not serve the long-term interests of the community. Kelly reviews the details of Homer's proposal. Kelly notes that housing is scarce in Roxbury while vacant lots are plentiful. Kelly interviews Gus Newport (Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative). Newport says that disinvestment has been a problem in the greater Roxbury neighborhood. Kelly, Newport and Gertrude Fidalgo (community worker) take a walk in the Dudley Street neighborhood. Fidalgo says that development of vacant lots will create safer conditions in the area. Kelly notes that new housing developments are planned for the area. Kelly's report includes footage of workers at the Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative building.
- Ten O'Clock News
Redressing Roxbury disinvestment
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African American neighborhoods
- King, Mel
- Banks and banking
- City planning
- Bolling, Bruce C., 1945-2012
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Kelly, Hope (Reporter)
- Bolling, Bruce C., 1945-2012 (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Redressing Roxbury disinvestment,” 12/28/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 21, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_6F00BE694EA446E9991F613E83C5D5F9.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Redressing Roxbury disinvestment.” 12/28/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 21, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_6F00BE694EA446E9991F613E83C5D5F9>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Redressing Roxbury disinvestment. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_6F00BE694EA446E9991F613E83C5D5F9