Ten O'Clock News; Lindiwe Mabuza
Carmen Fields interviews Lindiwe Mabuza of the African National Congress about apartheid in South Africa. Mabuza says that F.W. de Klerk, the President of South Africa, is not committed to fundamental changes in the regime. She adds that the ANC is struggling for a united, democratic, and non-racial South Africa. Fields reports that black South Africans are celebrating the recent release of eight political prisoners. Mabuza talks about the release of the prisoners and the role of the ANC. Mabuza discusses the possibility of negotiations with the South African government. She reviews the conditions under which black South Africans could negotiate with the South African government. Mabuza talks about her support for sanctions on the South African government. Fields' report is accompanied by footage of de Klerk, footage of black South Africans celebrating the release of prisoners and footage of a large demonstration by black South Africans.
- Ten O'Clock News
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African National Congress
- Anti-apartheid movements
- South Africa
- News Report
- Fields, Carmen (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Lindiwe Mabuza,” 10/23/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 24, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_6E1C4BE136E04717BB1179EE0EE1107F.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Lindiwe Mabuza.” 10/23/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 24, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_6E1C4BE136E04717BB1179EE0EE1107F>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Lindiwe Mabuza. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_6E1C4BE136E04717BB1179EE0EE1107F