Ten O'Clock News; Infant mortality hearings ignored
Parents and infants in the lobby of a health care center. Rebecca Rollins reports that many Massachusetts state legislators have said that the state's rising infant mortality rate is a priority. State Rep. John McDonough and State Sen. Edward Burke were the only two of seventeen members of the Legislative Health Care Committee attended a recent meeting on the infant mortality rate. Rollins notes that some legislators said that they were not aware of the meeting. Interviews with Burke and Dr. Jean Taylor of the Roxbury Comprehensive Community Health Center. Taylor says that the all of the members of the committee would have attended if the subject were white infant mortality. Rollins notes that the infant mortality rate is three times higher in the African American community than in the white community. Rollins reports that any legislation related to infant mortality will most likely be written by Burke and McDonough.
- Ten O'Clock News
Infant mortality hearings ignored
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Massachusetts State House (Boston, Mass.)
- McDonough, John E., 1953-
- African Americans -- Politics and government
- Massachusetts. General Court. House of Representatives
- Infants -- Mortality
- Massachusetts. General Court. Senate
- Massachusetts -- Politics and government
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Rollins, Rebecca (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Infant mortality hearings ignored,” 10/16/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 20, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_6E11228B445D4A1390D81FA29B4D0CDD.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Infant mortality hearings ignored.” 10/16/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 20, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_6E11228B445D4A1390D81FA29B4D0CDD>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Infant mortality hearings ignored. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_6E11228B445D4A1390D81FA29B4D0CDD