Poetry Breaks; Poetry Breaks I, Robert Bly; Robert Bly reads Loon's Cry
Part of New Television Workshop.
Robert Bly reads his poem, "Loon's Cry," dedicated to Thoreau. Approximate date: 1988
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Poetry Breaks
- Poetry Breaks I, Robert Bly
- Program Number
Robert Bly reads Loon's Cry
- Series Description
2-5 minute filler programs with New England area writers reading their poetry. Poets include Martin Espada, Galway Kinnell, Sharon Olds. Series release date: 1988
- Program Description
Robert Bly introduces and reads his and others’ poems at his Minnesota cabin on Moose Lake. The following poems were edited for broadcast and general distribution, and appear on the master tape with and without "Poetry Breaks" logo and copyright: “At the Time of Peony Blossoming” “Returning Poem” “Winter Poem” “Every Breath Taken” “The Minnow Turning” “The Moose” “A Dream of Retarded Children” “Loon’s Cry” “Dictator” (by Pablo Neruda) “What Choice Do We Have to Go Down”
Multiple takes of these poems and the following appear on the source tapes of original footage: “The Wind One Brilliant Day Called” (by Antonio Machado) “My Father at Eighty-Five” “Prayer for My Father” “Driving My Parents Home at Christmas” “Unanswered Letters” “Driving Toward the Lac Qui Parle River” “The Minty Grass” “Man and Woman” “Mourning Pablo Neruda” “The Dead Seal” “Snowbanks North of the House” “President’s Lies” Bly plays an instrument during his readings of “At the Time of Peony Blossoming,” “Returning Poem,” “Winter Poem,” “Every Breath Taken,” and “The Minnow Turning.”
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Oral interpretation of poetry
- Bly, Robert
- Poetry reading
- Performance in a Studio
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “Poetry Breaks; Poetry Breaks I, Robert Bly; Robert Bly reads Loon's Cry,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed April 20, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_6952D653D6FE4A289AB3E5FFA2A391A0.
- MLA: “Poetry Breaks; Poetry Breaks I, Robert Bly; Robert Bly reads Loon's Cry.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. April 20, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_6952D653D6FE4A289AB3E5FFA2A391A0>.
- APA: Poetry Breaks; Poetry Breaks I, Robert Bly; Robert Bly reads Loon's Cry. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_6952D653D6FE4A289AB3E5FFA2A391A0