La Plaza; Eye On Education: Countdown to Graduation
APT Master LPLZ 312 Not Closed Captioned
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Eye On Education: Countdown to Graduation
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
This is the follow-up film to the acclaimed documentaries 20 Days to 10th Grade and Diplomas and Dropouts. La Plaza revisits Edwin and Zahira, members of the class of 2003, who are among the first students in Massachusetts required to pass standardized statewide MCAS exams to graduate.
Countdown to Graduation. When La Plaza first began exploring the lives of Zahira Lerebours and Edwin Lara, the two were high school freshmen. Over the last three years the Boston Public School students have faced numerous challenges—most notably the MCAS test. Now seniors, Zahira and Edwin are about to graduate. Both passed the MCAS on the second try and have passed all their necessary courses. Now the two, and thousands of their fellow students, are about to leave high school and transition into their next phase of life. A larger question still looms, have the Boston schools properly prepared Zahira and Edwin for what comes next?
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Eye On Education: Countdown to Graduation,” 04/03/2002, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 20, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_68EA096CF5B842BEB80B74A7E02F53EB.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Eye On Education: Countdown to Graduation.” 04/03/2002. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 20, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_68EA096CF5B842BEB80B74A7E02F53EB>.
- APA: La Plaza; Eye On Education: Countdown to Graduation. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_68EA096CF5B842BEB80B74A7E02F53EB