Say Brother; Dinah Washington
Part of Say Brother.
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Say Brother
- Dinah Washington
- Program Number
- Series Description
Say Brother is WGBH's longest running public affairs television program by, for and about African Americans, and is now known as Basic Black. Since its inception in 1968, Say Brother has featured the voices of both locally and nationally known African American artists, athletes, performers, politicians, professionals, and writers including: Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, Thomas Atkins, Amiri Baraka, Doris Bunte, Julian Bond, Stokely Carmichael, Louis Farrakhan, Nikki Giovanni, Odetta Gordon, Henry Hampton, Benjamin Hooks, Jesse Jackson, Hubie Jones, Mel King, Eartha Kitt, Elma Lewis, Haki Madhubuti, Wallace D. Muhammad, Charles Ogletree, Babatunde Olatunji, Byron Rushing, Owusu Sadaukai, and Sonia Sanchez. Series release date: 7/15/1968
- Program Description
Program focuses on the music of Dinah Washington and the tradition of Afro American female musicians that she participated in. Host Hayes Burnett, a bass player, provides brief biographical information about Washington and interviews both Washington's husband Dick Lane and vocalist Mae Arnette, early in her career when Washington was at the height of hers. Both guests discuss what Washington was like, the origins of her music, the difficulties inherent to being a black female musician, and what her life was like before she died. Additional segments include: a vocal performance by Arnette; a bass performance by Burnett (with accompaniment); "Information" (on the origins of Black American music); and "Commentary" by Hayes Burnett (on the great black female musicians).
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Washington, Dinah, 1924-1963
- Arnette, Mae
- African American singers
- Lane, Dick
- Burnett, Hayes
- African American musicians
- African American women musicians
- Race and Ethnicity
- Barrow-Murray, Barbara (Associate Producer)
- White, Conrad (Director)
- Jones, Vickie (Associate Producer)
- Marita Rivero (Producer)
- Burnett, Hayes (Host)
- Davis, Tony (Production Assistant)
- Tsiang, Kaisan (Assistant Cameraman)
- Nicholas , Huntley, Jr. (Film Sound)
- Spooner, Dighton (Researcher)
- Chicago: “Say Brother; Dinah Washington,” 01/21/1976, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed June 26, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_6759187585554E08BC3BF0CE237A70DC.
- MLA: “Say Brother; Dinah Washington.” 01/21/1976. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. June 26, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_6759187585554E08BC3BF0CE237A70DC>.
- APA: Say Brother; Dinah Washington. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_6759187585554E08BC3BF0CE237A70DC