Say Brother; Struggle in South Africa
Part of Say Brother.
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Say Brother
- Struggle in South Africa
- Program Number
- Series Description
Say Brother is WGBH's longest running public affairs television program by, for and about African Americans, and is now known as Basic Black. Since its inception in 1968, Say Brother has featured the voices of both locally and nationally known African American artists, athletes, performers, politicians, professionals, and writers including: Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, Thomas Atkins, Amiri Baraka, Doris Bunte, Julian Bond, Stokely Carmichael, Louis Farrakhan, Nikki Giovanni, Odetta Gordon, Henry Hampton, Benjamin Hooks, Jesse Jackson, Hubie Jones, Mel King, Eartha Kitt, Elma Lewis, Haki Madhubuti, Wallace D. Muhammad, Charles Ogletree, Babatunde Olatunji, Byron Rushing, Owusu Sadaukai, and Sonia Sanchez. Series release date: 7/15/1968
- Program Description
Program consists of four segments related to Amilcar Cabral, assassinated leader of the Party for the Independence of Guinea and Cape Verde (PAIGC). Program includes two previously aired segments (an excerpt from a British film examining the guerilla warfare underway in Guinea Bissau that includes an interview with Cabral) and an interview with Gil Fernandes (an aide to Cabral and United Nations representative for the PAIGC), and two new segments: an interview with Christopher Nteta of the Pan African Liberation Committee (who discusses Cabral’s death), and footage from the demonstration held at the Portuguese consulate in Boston after Cabral’s assassination.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Nteta, Christopher
- Cabral, Amilcar, 1921-1973--Assassination
- Civil rights
- Partido Africano da Independencia da Guine e Cabo Verde
- Pan-African Liberation Committee
- Guinea-Bissau--History--Revolution, 1963-1974
- Cabral, Amilcar, 1921-1973
- Africa in motion pictures
- Fernandes, Gil
- Race and Ethnicity
- John Slade (Producer)
- Slade, John (Host)
- Chicago: “Say Brother; Struggle in South Africa,” 02/01/1973, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed August 16, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_673A7AD46EFF47509F580A06001AB39C.
- MLA: “Say Brother; Struggle in South Africa.” 02/01/1973. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. August 16, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_673A7AD46EFF47509F580A06001AB39C>.
- APA: Say Brother; Struggle in South Africa. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_673A7AD46EFF47509F580A06001AB39C