War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Interview with Aleksandr Obukhov, 1986
Part of War and Peace in the Nuclear Age.
A.M. Obukhov was a Russian physicist who served as Soviet Deputy Foreign Minister and nuclear and space arms negotiator in the 1960s and 1970s. He recalls the SALT I talks and some of the personalities and the relationships that developed between each side. He was aware of the secret back channel contacts but was not put out by them. He touches on the Vladivostok and SALT II processes, provides his reactions and recollections of the latter, and discusses the concept of linkage as it was applied at the time.
- War and Peace in the Nuclear Age
Interview with Aleksandr Obukhov, 1986
- Series Description
The first atomic explosion in the New Mexico desert on July 16, 1945, changed the world forever. This series chronicles these changes and the history of a new era. It traces the development of nuclear weapons, the evolution of nuclear strategy, and the politics of a world with the power to destroy itself.
In thirteen one-hour programs that combine historic footage and recent interviews with key American, Soviet, and European participants, the nuclear age unfolds: the origin and evolution of nuclear weapons; the people of the past who have shaped the events of the present; the ideas and issues that political leaders, scientists, and the public at large must confront, and the prospects for the future. Nuclear Age highlights the profound changes in contemporary thinking imposed by the advent of nuclear weapons. Series release date: 1/1989
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Semyonov, Vladimir Semyonovich
- Brezhnev, Leonid Il'ich, 1906-1982
- United States
- Strategic Arms Limitation Talks
- Garthoff, Raymond L.
- Soviet Union
- Nuclear arms control
- Kissinger, Henry, 1923-
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994
- Smith, Gerard C.
- Nitze, Paul H.
- Soviet Union. Treaties, etc. United States, 1972 May 26 (ABM)
- Strategic Arms Limitation Talks II
- Moscow, Russia
- Global Affairs
- War and Conflict
- Obukhov, A. M. (Aleksandr Mikhailovich), 1918- (Interviewee)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Interview with Aleksandr Obukhov, 1986,” 12/19/1986, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed March 29, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_66C3EA3A26B24755A950601262EE067D.
- MLA: “War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Interview with Aleksandr Obukhov, 1986.” 12/19/1986. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. March 29, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_66C3EA3A26B24755A950601262EE067D>.
- APA: War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Interview with Aleksandr Obukhov, 1986. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_66C3EA3A26B24755A950601262EE067D