Artist's Showcase; Romance of the Angel of Lions
Part of New Television Workshop.
Original MAPC # A0-01140
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Artist's Showcase
- Romance of the Angel of Lions
- Series Description
Anthology series of experimental, avant garde video productions. Program titles: "DANCE FOR CAMERA - SHOW I: DISTRICT I and PALE COOL, PALE WARM;" "DANCE FOR CAMERA - SHOW II: TZADDICK;" "DANCE FOR CAMERA - SHOW III: GEORGE'S HOUSE;" "SELECTED WORKS - 1974 - 1975;" "THE GIRL WITH THE FLAXEN HAIR;" "SET OF COINCIDENCE;" "ALL ACROSS BOSTON;" " UNTITLED PERFORMANCE BY ROBERT GOLDMAN;" "QUIDDATAS;" "TELEPORTRAITS;" "FOUR SIDED TAPES;" "AMY LOWELL;" "PRIMORDIAL SOUP;" "HOWARD;" "THIRD TAPE;" "PAST FANTASIES;" "SEMI BUFFET;" "EAST ENDED TAPE;" "A COLOR PIECE FOR TV;" "CONTEXTS AND ONE AND MANY;" "THREE TRANSITIONS;" "CITY SCAPE;" "OUT OF TIME;" "NO TITLE." Series release date: 1975
- Program Description
This dramatic work by Robert Goldman opens with the shirtless torsos of several men to which dangling fruits are taped and then cut off. A brief celebration is represented by a stock ticker and outstretched hands throwing up confetti. In the longest section of the work, women dressed in bright primary-colored formal wear partake of a tea party in what appears to be a lion’s cage at a zoo. The women are excessively civil to one another and almost formal in their demeanor, even when their talk turns to the intimate and surreal content of one another’s dreams. In the work’s final scene, cakes in the shape of a drill and a handsaw are devoured by numerous hands and forks.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Film and Television
- Goldman, Robert ()
- Loew-Blank, Sascha Alexander ()
- Baker, Jane ()
- Tropanzano, Oona ()
- Chicago: “Artist's Showcase; Romance of the Angel of Lions,” 01/13/1977, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed March 26, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_66B19E43C3E24F4E9D597E183763BF67.
- MLA: “Artist's Showcase; Romance of the Angel of Lions.” 01/13/1977. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. March 26, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_66B19E43C3E24F4E9D597E183763BF67>.
- APA: Artist's Showcase; Romance of the Angel of Lions. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_66B19E43C3E24F4E9D597E183763BF67