Ten O'Clock News; Supt. Marion Fahey interview
Exterior of the Joseph Lee School. Dorchester environs. Pam Bullard interviews Marion Fahey (Superintendent, Boston Public Schools) on the opening of schools for the 1976-77 school year. Before interview starts, they shoot cutaways. During interview Fahey talks about declining school enrollment, staffing, school programs, and the effects of court-ordered desegregation. Fahey admits that school desegregation and a low birthrate have caused the decline in school enrollment. Fahey discusses advancement in techniques for assigning students to schools to optimize programs tailored to students' needs. Fahey expresses confidence in the school system. She says that a federal grant will fund additional teachers and aides in the schools; that the court order has resulted in increased parental participation in the schools. Tape 1 of 2.
- Ten O'Clock News
Supt. Marion Fahey interview
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- School superintendents
- School integration
- Busing for school integration
- Fahey, Marion
- School buildings
- Dorchester (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Bullard, Pam (Reporter)
- Fahey, Marion (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Supt. Marion Fahey interview,” 09/07/1976, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed May 24, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_65ED0315535C420491A5EEBA9631CF9E.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Supt. Marion Fahey interview.” 09/07/1976. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. May 24, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_65ED0315535C420491A5EEBA9631CF9E>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Supt. Marion Fahey interview. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_65ED0315535C420491A5EEBA9631CF9E