Jean Shepherd's America; Great American Tourist Trap, The
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Jean Shepherd's America
- Great American Tourist Trap, The
- Program Number
- Series Description
In these humorous and affectionate television poems, humorist Jean Shepherd celebrates America in all its richness and diversity -- from cars to candy, baseball to beer, motels to money. Each week a different aspect of our national psyche is explored as Shepherd travels to the Okefenokee Swamp, Death Valley, Milwaukee, the Old South, and other far-flung locations -- using the PCP-90 portable camera.
See April and May 1971 Program Guides for cover stories. Series release date: 4/11/1971
- Program Description
What’s the difference between scenic splendor and tacky trash? Very little, when humorist Jean Shepherd dons straw hat, oversized sunglasses and gaudy shirt to become a charter member of that teeming, thriving group: American tourists. Jean Shepherd’s America goes from Parrot Jungle to Television Stars’ Hall of Fame, and points between, in “The Great American Tourist Trap.”
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Barzyk, Fred (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Jean Shepherd's America; Great American Tourist Trap, The,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 16, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_65E81C05709349BFB6B580D9DAF24DC4.
- MLA: “Jean Shepherd's America; Great American Tourist Trap, The.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 16, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_65E81C05709349BFB6B580D9DAF24DC4>.
- APA: Jean Shepherd's America; Great American Tourist Trap, The. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_65E81C05709349BFB6B580D9DAF24DC4