La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Jimmy Santiago Baca
Online Version Master
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Jimmy Santiago Baca
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
Born of Chicano and Apache descent Jimmy Santiago Baca spent his youth in an orphanage and in and out of reform schools. At the age of 21 he was sentenced to prison in his native Arizona where at last he learned to read and write.
It was poetry that he wrote in prison that turned his life around. Since then Baca has become a beacon of hope to young people around the world and has earned numerous literary distinctions including the Vogelstein Foundation Award, the National Hispanic Heritage Award, and the Pushcart Prize.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Jimmy Santiago Baca,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 17, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_650615AFCCC5416E935CF74BEAFDA9D0.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Jimmy Santiago Baca.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 17, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_650615AFCCC5416E935CF74BEAFDA9D0>.
- APA: La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Jimmy Santiago Baca. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_650615AFCCC5416E935CF74BEAFDA9D0