Ten O'Clock News; "Harvard: Where do we go from here?", Part 1
Originally broadcast as a WGBH news special, this tape was later used as source material for Ten O'Clock News stories. Roger Fisher moderates discussion among students, administrators, faculty about student strike at Harvard over ROTC, Afro-American studies, expansion into Boston and Cambridge. Louis Lyons starts by reading the news from Harvard. Participants include Jim Kiernan, a WGBH consultant; Brey O'Connell, a member of the Committee for Radical Structural Reform; Richard Rubinowitz, a representative of Harvard New College; Hugh Calkins, a member of the Harvard Corporation; and Norman Daniels, a member of the Strike Committee and of the Student for a Democratic Society. First segment of the program provides some radical Harvard students the opportunity to speak to a member of the Harvard Corporation. Another students, King Collins, starts using explicit language, and the audio was cut during the original broadcast. Much argument over who has right to speak. reel 1 of 2.
- Ten O'Clock News
"Harvard: Where do we go from here?", Part 1
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Strikes and lockouts
- African Americans -- Study and teaching
- Universities and colleges
- Harvard University
- Student protesters
- Students for a Democratic Society (U.S.)
- Cambridge (Mass.)
- News Report
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; "Harvard: Where do we go from here?", Part 1,” 04/17/1969, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 20, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_6480E310FD534ACF990CBB34EF96658E.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; "Harvard: Where do we go from here?", Part 1.” 04/17/1969. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 20, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_6480E310FD534ACF990CBB34EF96658E>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; "Harvard: Where do we go from here?", Part 1. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_6480E310FD534ACF990CBB34EF96658E