Ten O'Clock News; Boston school desegregation review
Some sound dropout at the beginning of the tape. Pam Bullard's 1978 review of school desegregation in Boston. The review focuses on the effects of desegregation on South Boston High School and the Joseph Lee School. Bullard reports that attendance is low at South Boston High School, but the school atmosphere and programs have improved. Bullard reports that the Joseph Lee School is a good example of a successfully integrated elementary school. The story includes footage of Kevin White (Mayor, City of Boston) and interviews with Ruth Batson (African American community activist), Jerome Wynegar (headmaster, South Boston High School), David Finnegan (Boston School Committee), Robert Peterkin (headmaster, English High School). Bullard also interviews teachers and students at the Lee School and South Boston High School. The report ends with footage of students at the Lee School performing in a play of "The Wizard of Oz."
- Ten O'Clock News
Boston school desegregation review
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- School integration
- School attendance
- Busing for school integration
- Finnegan, David I.
- White, Kevin H.
- Dorchester (Boston, Mass.)
- South Boston (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- White, Kevin H. (Speaker)
- Bullard, Pam (Reporter)
- Finnegan, David I. (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Boston school desegregation review,” 06/01/1978, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 20, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_643822BBC4444B66B9A875B0ECD50E8B.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Boston school desegregation review.” 06/01/1978. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 20, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_643822BBC4444B66B9A875B0ECD50E8B>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Boston school desegregation review. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_643822BBC4444B66B9A875B0ECD50E8B