Ten O'Clock News; Silber alienates delegates
Christy George reports on a controversy within the Massachusetts State Democratic Party. She notes that Democratic candidate for governor John Silber compared the party's "15-percent rule" to the rules used by white supremacists to keep African Americans from voting in the South. Party delegates reacted strongly to Silber's comments. Democratic State Committee members Margaret Xifaris, James Roosevelt, Raymond Jordan, Virginia Lee, and Alex Rodriguez respond at a press conference, and defend the committee. George reports that the rule in question requires a candidate to have the support of 15% of the delegates in order to be listed on the ballot for the primary election. George notes that Silber has the support of only 8% of the delegates. George's report includes footage of Silber and candidate Evelyn Murphy appearing on WBZ-TV. Silber insists that he did not call the state party racist. Murphy condemns Silber's comments. Chairman of the Massachusetts Democratic Party, Chester Atkins, and Chairman of the National Democratic Party, Ron Brown, issued a statement in which they called Silber's comment "outrageous." George speculates that Silber's comment may alienate delegates but may also result in an increase in voter support.
- Ten O'Clock News
Silber alienates delegates
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Democratic Party (U.S.)
- Silber, John, 1926-
- African Americans -- Politics and government
- Political campaigns
- Murphy, Evelyn F.
- Election laws
- Press conferences
- News Report
- Murphy, Evelyn F. (Speaker)
- George, Christy (Reporter)
- Silber, John, 1926- (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Silber alienates delegates,” 05/24/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 11, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_642FBB9DEC6C4AE2B6BDA97A863D02F4.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Silber alienates delegates.” 05/24/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 11, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_642FBB9DEC6C4AE2B6BDA97A863D02F4>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Silber alienates delegates. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_642FBB9DEC6C4AE2B6BDA97A863D02F4