Ten O'Clock News; Minority contractors
Deborah Wang reports that the city of Boston's minority set-aside program is facing a court challenge. This program allows minority-owned businesses to break into their industries by inviting them to participate in municipal projects. Interview with Robert McCoy pf McCoy Landscaping, who says that his business could not have survived without the program. The Consortium of Minority Business Enterprises has been formed to protect set-aside laws in Massachusetts. Interview with Walter Williams of the Contractors' Association of Boston, about the set-aside programs. The Consortium gave a hostile reception to Sen. John Kerry at a recent meeting, where he says that public opinion is not in favor of set-aside programs. Wang notes that Consortium members seem to be united in support of set-aside programs. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: Press conference to celebrate the positive findings of a study on the state's Healthy Start Program
- Ten O'Clock News
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Affirmative action programs
- Kerry, John, 1943-
- Legislators -- United States
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Wang, Deborah (Reporter)
- Kerry, John, 1943- (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Minority contractors,” 05/15/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 10, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_641612F8934747B9A67E7DF13E032278.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Minority contractors.” 05/15/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 10, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_641612F8934747B9A67E7DF13E032278>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Minority contractors. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_641612F8934747B9A67E7DF13E032278