Ten O'Clock News; Ward 7 Democrats
Meg Vaillancourt reports on the failure of Ward 7 to elect any minority delegates to the Massachusetts State Democratic Party convention. Minority voters accuse party bosses of discouraging minorities from running as delegates. Ward 7 residents Dianne Wilkerson and Bernard Sneed both ran for delegate in Ward 7 last year. Sneed calls for a change in the election process. Interviews with Wilkerson and Sneed. Wilkerson accuses City Councilor James Kelly of setting up the election to be restrictive and hostile to minority delegates. Vaillancourt quotes Kelly as saying that he set up a fair election and that Wilkerson and Sneed lost. Wilkerson and Sneed were named as delegates on an appeal to the State Democratic Party.
- Ten O'Clock News
Ward 7 Democrats
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Wilkerson, Dianne
- Democratic Party (U.S.)
- African Americans -- Politics and government
- Massachusetts -- Politics and government
- Kelly, James M., 1940-2007
- Politics, Practical
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Wilkerson, Dianne (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Ward 7 Democrats,” 05/21/1987, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 21, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_63D8FB2D2CE14455BA285D814A11E448.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Ward 7 Democrats.” 05/21/1987. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 21, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_63D8FB2D2CE14455BA285D814A11E448>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Ward 7 Democrats. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_63D8FB2D2CE14455BA285D814A11E448