Ten O'Clock News; Highland Tap
Marcus Jones reports that many residents were present at a public hearing on whether to allow nude dancing at the Highland Tap in Roxbury. The Highland Tap has featured nude dancing for almost ten years. The police and critics believe that the bar is attracting drug traffic and other vices to the area. City Councilor Bruce Bolling and Deputy Superintendent of the Boston Police Department William Celester speak out against nude dancing at the bar. Celester talks about criminal activity and underage dancers at the bar. Local business owners say that the Highland Tap is a good neighbor. Interview with a local business owner who says that the bar creates no problems. Interview with Highland Tap owner Agamemnon Alexopoulos, who denies any problems with drugs or violence at the bar. Interviews with Roxbury residents Norma Alvarado and Dana Holley about their opinions on nude dancing at the bar. Jones reports that the city will soon decide whether to grant a license for adult entertainment at the bar. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: Jesse Jackson's supporters criticize the Dukakis presidential campaign.
- Ten O'Clock News
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Celester, William R.
- Urban policy
- Bolling, Bruce C., 1945-2012
- Drug traffic
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Celester, William R. (Speaker)
- Bolling, Bruce C., 1945-2012 (Speaker)
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Highland Tap,” 08/25/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 21, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_63763BD1BC98448BAFC12F43F002603A.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Highland Tap.” 08/25/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 21, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_63763BD1BC98448BAFC12F43F002603A>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Highland Tap. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_63763BD1BC98448BAFC12F43F002603A