Ten O'Clock News; Boston school budget cuts
Hope Kelly reports that Superintendent Laval Wilson proposed a set of reforms to improve the Boston Public Schools in the beginning of his tenure as superintendent. Kelly reviews Wilson's proposals for school reforms and notes that the programs were backed by the Boston School Committee. Kelly's report includes footage of Wilson in 1985 and footage of Wilson announcing his school reform package. The Boston School Committee has recently cut Wilson's budget by $8.5 million. Kelly reviews the budget cuts. Interviews with John Nucci (Boston School Committee), Sam Tyler (Boston Municipal Research Bureau), and Ellen Guiney (Educational Advisor to Mayor Flynn) about the budget cuts. Kelly reviews the budget figures for municipal spending on education from 1984 to 1989 and budget figures for overall city spending from 1986 to 1988. Kelly notes that the city's spending on education has greatly increased from 1984. She notes that critics believe that the School Department is not spending its money wisely. Kelly reports that the city will need to curb its spending in the next few years due to the absence of budget surpluses. Kelly's report is accompanied by footage of students in the Boston Public Schools.
- Ten O'Clock News
Boston school budget cuts
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- School boards
- School superintendents
- Boston (Mass.). School Committee
- School management and organization
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Kelly, Hope (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Boston school budget cuts,” 05/06/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 22, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_619FF7F248D241B5807A5846E310D15F.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Boston school budget cuts.” 05/06/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 22, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_619FF7F248D241B5807A5846E310D15F>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Boston school budget cuts. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_619FF7F248D241B5807A5846E310D15F