Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie; Hawaii’s Big Island: Food Lover’s Paradise
The Big Island of Hawaii: Food Lover’s Paradise Letterbox
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie
- Hawaii’s Big Island: Food Lover’s Paradise
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiere October 8, 2006
The edgy and provocative Gourmet’s Diary of a Foodie provides exclusive entrée into the passionate inner circle of the food world to uncover the latest cutting-edge food trends, must-use ingredients, kitchen gadgets and food destinations. The 20-part series affords viewers privileged access to an arsenal of trusted industry journalists and epicurean experts who deliver compelling food stories from all around the globe. From street food in Shanghai to a "flameless" restaurant in Spain, Gourmet’s Diary of a Foodie mixes travel with food to explore, inform and entertain.
Looking at the world food-first, Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie is a sophisticated, high-end series that introduces viewers to a feast of cutting-edge food trends, exotic ingredients, and in-the-know food players on an international level. Expanding on the lessons learned during the show's travels, Gourmet Editor-in-Chief Ruth Reichl, along with a supporting staff of Gourmet's renowned food editors, go inside the magazine's test kitchens to show viewers how they can bring this diverse culinary landscape into their own homes.
Produced by WGBH and Zero Point Zero Productions in association with Gourmet magazine and Discovery Networks International, and exclusively sponsored by TIAA-CREF. Series release date: 10/8/2006
- Program Description
Episode 41 How can an island with barely any native produce evolve into a food lover's paradise? Discover the many ways in which Hawaii has developed into a unique melting pot of flavors from around the world. Meet Peter Merriman, a chef who launched a regional cuisine based on splendid local bounty prepared in the simplest possible way. Then see fruits you won't find anywhere else with Ken Love, a man obsessed with ultra-exotics such as tree tomatoes and poha berries. Journey to the Valley of the Kings, where three generations of a family have devoted themselves to farming taro to create traditional poi. Back in the Gourmet test kitchen, food editor Paul Grimes shares a simple recipe for macadamia nut shortbread that gives you a taste of the big island at home.
RECIPES Macadamia Nut Shortbread Mahimahi with Ponzu Sauce Pickled Radish and Carrot Salad Potatoes with Green Beans and Arugula Rack of Lamb with Pineapple Sage Sauce
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Tenaglia, Lydia (Series Producer)
- Zero Point Zero Productions (Series Producer)
- Collins, Christopher (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie; Hawaii’s Big Island: Food Lover’s Paradise,” 01/05/2009, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed August 18, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_617024755B0A46A09F3896A23F168405.
- MLA: “Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie; Hawaii’s Big Island: Food Lover’s Paradise.” 01/05/2009. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. August 18, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_617024755B0A46A09F3896A23F168405>.
- APA: Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie; Hawaii’s Big Island: Food Lover’s Paradise. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_617024755B0A46A09F3896A23F168405