Say Brother; Perspectives in Politics with Royal Bolling and Mel King
Part of Say Brother.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Say Brother
- Perspectives in Politics with Royal Bolling and Mel King
- Program Number
- Series Description
Say Brother is WGBH's longest running public affairs television program by, for and about African Americans, and is now known as Basic Black. Since its inception in 1968, Say Brother has featured the voices of both locally and nationally known African American artists, athletes, performers, politicians, professionals, and writers including: Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, Thomas Atkins, Amiri Baraka, Doris Bunte, Julian Bond, Stokely Carmichael, Louis Farrakhan, Nikki Giovanni, Odetta Gordon, Henry Hampton, Benjamin Hooks, Jesse Jackson, Hubie Jones, Mel King, Eartha Kitt, Elma Lewis, Haki Madhubuti, Wallace D. Muhammad, Charles Ogletree, Babatunde Olatunji, Byron Rushing, Owusu Sadaukai, and Sonia Sanchez. Series release date: 7/15/1968
- Program Description
Program focuses on African American political representation in the Boston area. Host Topper Carew speaks with local Black Republican Representatives (Nathaniel Stevens, Lym Riley and Jack E. Robinson), members of the Massachusetts Black Caucus (Royal Bolling, Sr., and Mel King) and several nationally known African American politicians to examine in-depth where the Black politician has been, and is going. On-site interviews for the program were conducted with Shirley Chisholm (US Congresswoman, Brooklyn, NY), Representative Andrew Young (Atlanta, GA), Mayor-elect Maynard Jackson (Atlanta, GA), and US Senator Edward Brooke.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Chisholm, Shirley, 1924-2005
- African Americans--Politics and government
- African American women
- Stevens, Nathaniel
- African Americans--Political activity
- African American politicians
- Civil rights
- Robinson, Jack E.
- Massachusetts Black Legislative Caucus
- Young, Andrew, 1932-
- Riley, Lym
- King, Mel
- Brooke, Edward
- Jackson, Maynard, 1938-2003
- Bolling, Royal, Sr.
- Race and Ethnicity
- Jones, Vickie (Associate Producer)
- Topper Carew (Producer)
- Barrow-Murray, Barbara (Associate Producer)
- White, Conrad (Director)
- Johnson, Henry (Filmmaker)
- Nicholas , Huntley, Jr. (Film Sound)
- Chicago: “Say Brother; Perspectives in Politics with Royal Bolling and Mel King,” 12/06/1973, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 21, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_61543F98F62F483FA2680ED333ED4C28.
- MLA: “Say Brother; Perspectives in Politics with Royal Bolling and Mel King.” 12/06/1973. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 21, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_61543F98F62F483FA2680ED333ED4C28>.
- APA: Say Brother; Perspectives in Politics with Royal Bolling and Mel King. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_61543F98F62F483FA2680ED333ED4C28