American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Margaret Washington, 3 of 5
Part of John Brown's Holy War Interviews.
Washington talks about Failure - at business could succeed as abolitionist, Lovejoy - death monumentally important to John Brown, Abolitionists - didn't work to end discrimination in North, "John Brown wasn't like that", North Elba dinner w/blacks - though antislavery, Dana appalled, Abolition - John Brown's absolutism, equal is equal, Douglass - John Brown met a cultured, articulate accomplished man, Douglass - represented possibility, John Brown divulged plans to him, Douglass/Raid - couldn't follow John Brown, it was a kind of suicide, Douglass/Raid - wanted to go, but couldn't, knew it would fail, Douglass/Raid - more important to live for cause than die for it
- American Experience
- John Brown's Holy War
- Program Number
Interview with historian Margaret Washington, 3 of 5
- Series Description
As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award.
- Program Description
Martyr, madman, murderer, hero: John Brown remains one of history's most controversial and misunderstood figures. In the 1850s, he and his ragtag guerrilla group embarked on a righteous crusade against slavery that was based on religious faith -- yet carried out with shocking violence. His execution at Harpers Ferry sparked a chain of events that led to the Civil War.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Robert Kenner (Producer)
- Washington, Margaret (Interviewee)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Rights Summary
Rights Holder: WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Margaret Washington, 3 of 5,” 2000, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 19, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_604375419A1F4E0A856DD8C17E6DC725.
- MLA: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Margaret Washington, 3 of 5.” 2000. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 19, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_604375419A1F4E0A856DD8C17E6DC725>.
- APA: American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Margaret Washington, 3 of 5. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_604375419A1F4E0A856DD8C17E6DC725