Say Brother; Island in America, An
Part of Say Brother.
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Say Brother
- Island in America, An
- Program Number
- Series Description
Say Brother is WGBH's longest running public affairs television program by, for and about African Americans, and is now known as Basic Black. Since its inception in 1968, Say Brother has featured the voices of both locally and nationally known African American artists, athletes, performers, politicians, professionals, and writers including: Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, Thomas Atkins, Amiri Baraka, Doris Bunte, Julian Bond, Stokely Carmichael, Louis Farrakhan, Nikki Giovanni, Odetta Gordon, Henry Hampton, Benjamin Hooks, Jesse Jackson, Hubie Jones, Mel King, Eartha Kitt, Elma Lewis, Haki Madhubuti, Wallace D. Muhammad, Charles Ogletree, Babatunde Olatunji, Byron Rushing, Owusu Sadaukai, and Sonia Sanchez. Series release date: 7/15/1968
- Program Description
Say Brother presents the film An Island in America, produced by DHS Films, The Anti-Defamation League, and B'Nai Brith in cooperation with the School District of Philadelphia. Film relates the problems of Puerto Ricans who have immigrated to the United States, the reasons why over one-third of the population has left Puerto Rico, the challenges facing Puerto Ricans in achieving the "American dream," their struggles against racial discrimination and poverty, and the historical treatment of minorities in the United States. Film includes the commentary of Joseph Monserrat (then President of the New York City Board of Education) and Congressman Herman Badillo (who, in 1971, was the first Puerto Rican elected to Congress in the United States).
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Immigrants--Puerto Rican--United States
- Civil rights
- Hispanic Americans in motion pictures
- Badillo, Herman, 1929-
- Monserrat, Joseph
- Hispanic American politicians
- Race and Ethnicity
- DHS Films (Producer)
- Chicago: “Say Brother; Island in America, An,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed April 21, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5F71B89B9C8E4B93A3F453EBEFE49AC6.
- MLA: “Say Brother; Island in America, An.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. April 21, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5F71B89B9C8E4B93A3F453EBEFE49AC6>.
- APA: Say Brother; Island in America, An. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5F71B89B9C8E4B93A3F453EBEFE49AC6