Ten O'Clock News; Image of Area B
Marcus Jones interviews Brian Wright O'Connor, the Managing Editor of The Bay State Banner, about the negative media portrayal of the Roxbury, Dorchester and Mattapan area. Jones notes that O'Connor believes that the media focus only on images of violence, drugs, and murder. O'Connor talks about the effects of the negative media coverage. Footage from an interview with Boston Police Deputy Superintendent William Celester about negative media coverage of the community. Jones notes that gubernatorial candidate John Silber was recently criticized for making negative comments about the Roxbury community. Silber has accused columnist Mike Barnacle of giving a biased representation of life in many neighborhoods. Jones' report is accompanied by footage from a news story with Barnacle, by footage from Justice on Trial (WCVB-TV) and by footage from Street Cop (WGBH/Frontline documentary). Jones notes that politicians and community leaders have spoken out against media bias in the wake of the Carol Stuart murder case. Michael Dukakis talks about media bias at a press conference. Following the edited story is additional footage of Jones's interview with O'Connor. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: John Silber speaks to the media and Roxbury residents
- Ten O'Clock News
Image of Area B
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Celester, William R.
- Drug traffic
- Race relations
- Mass media
- Silber, John, 1926-
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933-
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Celester, William R. (Interviewee)
- Silber, John, 1926- (Speaker)
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933- (Speaker)
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Image of Area B,” 09/12/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed August 19, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5F2CBD4E2D104297AF70AC99DBFA88E3.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Image of Area B.” 09/12/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. August 19, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5F2CBD4E2D104297AF70AC99DBFA88E3>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Image of Area B. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5F2CBD4E2D104297AF70AC99DBFA88E3